What We Do
- Our exercise classes are held every Tuesday morning at 10:00 and at 11:30 at the Solihull Methodist Church Hall, Station Approach, Solihull.
- At 10:55 we meet for coffee and biscuits and a get-together.
- The exercise class is designed to help people with Parkinson's to keep active and supple.
- Please contact Barbara Xifaras for more information.
- To arrange for taxis please contact Roy.
- This is a teaching and learning approach to Parkinson's Disease that aims to
improve quality of life.
- Skills and practical techniques are taught for overcoming the daily problems posed by this condition.
- It takes place at The National Institute of Conductive Education (NICE) in Moseley and is not under the National Health Service.
- If anyone is interested in starting Conductive Education please contact me at the exercise class on Tuesday mornings or send email Barbara.
- If you already attend Conductive Education and would like to claim the cost
of some sessions, please tell Barbara and keep all your receipts to give to her.
- There is a chair-based Yoga class designed for individuals with Parkinson's, but also open to the public, which takes place on Friday mornings from 11.30 am - 12.30pm at Solihull Library.
- The cost for the classes is £3.00 per session.
- Anyone interested should contact Roy.
- Singing therapy sessions are now held once a week at 9.45am - 10.45 am on Mondays
The venue is the John Palmer Hall, United Reformed Church,Warwick Road, Solihull, B91 3DG (opposite the House of Frazer).
This therapy is designed to improve voice projection and volume whilst having fun.
- Contact Martin Sewell or Chris Hughes for more information.
- We help to pay for sitter services.
- We can pay 50% of the cost of up to two three-hour sessions per month, providing the actual cost does not exceed £17.50 per hour.
- We recommend Age UK as a reputable agency
- Please contact us for futher details.
- We can pay for members with Parkinson's to spend a day, once a fortnight, at Blanning Day Centre, Family Care Trust, in Bentley Heath, or at Shepherdson Court Day Centre, Damson Parkway, Solihull.
- As these facilities are meant for the benefit of carers to give them a rest from their caring duties both the carer and the person attending either of the care centres must be members of Parkinson's UK.
Bi-Monthly Socials (Thursday Evening)
- We hold regular social evenings every other month. We welcome new attendees.
- We have regular holidays for members: see below for more details.
- We can supply containers for the collection of 5p coins for Parkinson's research.
- Please contact Richard Nelson for futher details.
- Please see our News page for details of our fundraising activities.
- February 24th Saturday. Social get-together and talk on "Therapies
for Parkinson's" by the "Treatment Rooms" Team. 10.00am- 12.00 noon. Venue Christadelphian Hall, Grove Avenue, Solihull, B91 2AH. Contact: Martin Sewell.
- March 21st, Wednesday. Skittles with Buffet, 12.30pm. £3. Venue: Home Guard Club, Hall Green, B28 0LS. Contact: Margaret Clavin
- March 27th Tuesday. Branch Annual General Meeting. 11.00 am. Venue: Methodist Church Hall. Contact: Tim Mason.
- April 11th. World Parkinson's Day.
- April 12th Thursday. Talk"More therapies for Parkinson's", 7.00pm by the "Treatment Rooms" team. Venue: Knowle British Legion. Contact: Maggie Smith.
- April 16th - 20th, Monday - Friday. Holiday to Alvaston Hall, Nantwich. £299. Contact: Margaret Clavin
- May 17th, Thursday. Day out. TBA £5. Contact: Margaret Clavin
- June 9th, Saturday. Street Collection TBA.
- June 14th, Thursday. Talk TBA, 7.00pm.Venue: Knowle British Legion. Contact: Maggie Smith.
- June 20th, Wednesday. Summer lunch, 12.30pm. Venue Crown Plaza, 61, Homer Road Solihull, B91 3QD. 3 course meal £5. Contact: Maggie Smith
- July 6th, Friday. Afternoon trip to Hobson's Brewery, Cleobury Mortimer. Tour of the brewery and Barbecue/buffet (depending on weather) and beer sampling. £20. Contact: Martin Sewell.
- July 12th, Thursday. Skittles or Bowls TBA. Buffet £3. Contact: Margaret
- August 7th, Tuesday. Summer Outing TBA £5. Contact: Margaret Clavin
- August 9th Thursday. Talk: "Tax, Care and Toyboys" by Co-op Estate Planning. 7.00pm. Venue: Royal British Legion, 1616 Warwick Road, Knowle. Contact: Maggie Smith
- September 20th, Thursday. Celebration Lunch in memory of Norma Hone, 12.30pm. £5 Venue: The Regency Hotel, Stratford Road, Shirley, B91 4EB. Contact: Maggie Smith
- October 11th, Thursday. Talk TBA, 7.00pm. Venue: Knowle British Legion. Contact: Maggie Smith.
- October/November. Holiday. TBA, subsidies will be available.
- November 22nd, Thursday. 7.00pm Christmas Social evening. Buffet and entertainment, £5. Venue TBA. Contact: Margaret Clavin.
- December 7th, Friday. 12.30pm. 3 course lunch. £5. Venue: the Arden Hotel, Coventry Road, Solihull, B92 0EH. Contact: Maggie Smith