Hermina Roberts Parkinson’s Information Officer is our local contact and she has kindly sent us information about and what you are entitled to claim for:

Anyone who has a health condition or disability that has a negative impact on  their daily lives can apply for a disability benefit. 
There are two benefits that can be applied for – Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Attendance Allowance (AA). 
Both benefits are not means tested – this means that savings and earnings are not taken into account. 
Referral can be made to the DWP Home Visiting Service to help you to complete the form or your local adviser will assist you to complete the form via a telephone call.  

Information of all the benefits can be found by visiting the Gov.UK website. 
Personal Independence Payment: – PIP is for people aged 16 upto state pension age.- There are two parts – daily living and mobility. 
– The amount awarded depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself. – PIP has two rates – Standard rate (low) and Enhanced rate (high).- Whether you get one or both of these and how much you’ll get depends on how severely your condition affects you.  – A face to face or telephone assessment to decide if you meet the criteria. – To order the PIP claim form – telephone 0800 917 2222.   

Attendance Allowance: – AA is for people of state pension age or older.- Mobility is not taken into account.- AA has two rates – High rate and Low rate.- The amount awarded depends on the level of help you need because of your condition. – You do not have to have someone caring for you in order to claim.- The decision to award AA is based on the application form – no face to face or telephone assessment will take place.- To order the AA application form – telephone 0800 731 0122. 

Carers Allowance (CA)- A claim for CA can only be made if the person being cared for receives the daily living component for PIP or AA. 
– CA is means tested.  – You cannot get CA if you earn more than £128 a week after tax. 
– If your pension is £67.60 a week or more, you will not get CA.  – CA can affect other benefits that you and the person you care for gets      
– You must care for the person at least 35 hours a week. 

Hermina is happy to assist and advise anyone who may need her help, it’s free advice!

Hermina Roberts
Parkinson’s Local Adviser ‑ Northern Ireland & West Midlands
Parkinson’s UK
hroberts@parkinsons.org.uk 0344 225 3763