Solihull Special Care Dental Service
If you are having difficulty getting dental care due to your Parkinson’s or other medical conditions you may be able to get specialist support , read on..
Admission criteria to Solihull Special Care Dental Service:
- Patients living in or attending an LEA school in Solihull Borough
- Patients are registered with a Solihull GP
Patients may be referred in under the following criteria:
Adults with an additional need:
- Moderate or severe Learning difficulties and/or challenging behaviour
- Autistic spectrum disorder
- Severe mental health problems including dementia
- Severely medically compromised
- Severe physical disability, e.g. where needing hoist transfer
- Post head and neck oncology patients
- Palliative care
- Domiciliary care for housebound patients unable to access a GDP
- Phobic or very highly anxious adults – explanation of the treatment tried
- GA referrals
- Treatment under IV or inhalation sedation
- Learning difficulties
- Autistic spectrum disorder and ADHD
- Mental health and psychological disorders including anorexia and
- Complex physical disabilities
- Very anxious and phobic children – explanation of the treatment
attempted to date
- Very young children with extensive decay
- Orthodontic extractions where sedation is required
- Treatment under inhalation sedation
- Intravenous sedation is available where deemed necessary for those 14 years and above
- Patients excluded due to threatening behaviour under violent patient scheme
- Persistent non-payment of dental charges
For Special Care Dentistry:
- Does not have a Solihull GP
- Does not attend an Solihull LEA school
- Lives out of Borough
- Specific treatment items: where referred only for advanced restorations, endodontic treatment of pre molars or molars, High caries activity levels
- Paediatric GA referrals should be referred to Birmingham Dental Hospital / Birmingham Children’s Hospital as appropriate.
For weekday urgent care:
- A triage service is provided directing patients to local GDPs, as per agreed urgent access slots available.
- For Special Care Dentistry – patients are accepted on referral only either by paper or electronically via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Completed referral forms should be sent to Mrs P Heyworth, Clinical Service Lead, Solihull Special Care Dental Service, Ground Floor, Netherwood Building, Solihull Hospital, Lode Lane, Solihull B91 2JL.
- Referrals should include as much information as possible including name of GP, main aspects of medical history, treatment attempted, levels of co-operation, any issues over communication or surgery accessibility. This will help us to direct the patient to the most appropriate clinic.
In urgent cases, or where you wish to discuss a possible referral please contact us by telephone on 0121 704 3211.
For Out of Hours Service:
- Patients should be advised to contact NHS 111. Following triage using the Dental algorithm if found in need of urgent dental treatment they will be given a telephone number to access local out of hours services.
In an acute emergency situation they would be directed to the QE Hospital if an adult, or Birmingham Children’s Hospital if a child.
Review date: April 2022